The Oconee County Sheriff’s Office is reporting a spike in automobile break-ins. The Sheriff’s Office in Watkinsville says most of the entering auto cases are happening at night, with thieves targeting cars that are parked in driveways.
From the Oconee Co Sheriff’s Office Facebook page...
There has been an increase in entering autos in the recent weeks. While deputies are working hard to patrol your neighborhoods, we urge you to do your part in reducing the likelihood you become a victim. Most of these incidents occur during night time hours with cars parked in driveways. These crimes often take less than a minute to complete.
1. Lock your vehicle every time you are away from it.
2. Activate your vehicle’s alarm.
3. Remove all valuables and firearms from your vehicles.
4. Remove house keys & garage door openers from your vehicle.
5. Do not leave valuables or electronics in plain sight.
6. Close garage doors when vehicles are parked inside.
7. Park near motion activated security lights.
8. Ensure home surveillance systems are operational.
9. Remotely activate your car alarm if you hear someone outside.
Call 911 if you see or hear anything suspicious.
©2021 Cox Media Group