The Georgia DOT is looking for public input on a plan to enhance traffic safety at the busy intersection of West Broad Street and West Hancock, and the adjacent streets of The Plaza, West Hancock Avenue, and Minor Street. A public comment period has been extended through May 11, with a feedback form on the Athens-Clarke County government website.
From the Athens-Clarke Co government website…
The Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT), in partnership with the Athens-Clarke County Unified Government (ACCGov), is seeking feedback about a proposed project that would provide safe pedestrian and bicycle access, improve traffic operations, and reduce crash frequency and severity at the intersection of State Route (SR) 10/West Broad Street, The Plaza, Minor Street, West Hancock Avenue, and Glenhaven Avenue. These streets currently intersect just west of downtown Athens in Athens-Clarke County.
*UPDATE: COMMENT PERIOD EXTENDED* Please review the project materials presented on this website and submit your feedback by May 11, 2022.
This project is proposed to reduce crash frequency and severity, improve traffic operations, and provide safe cycling and pedestrian connectivity at the intersection.
Benefits of Project Implementation
· Traffic operations are anticipated to improve.
· Crash frequency is anticipated to be reduced by minimizing conflict points.
· Travel through the intersection would be simplified with clearly defined lanes of travel and turn lanes.
· Bicycle commuter safety will be improved through minimizing conflict points and reducing severity of impacts.
· Travel delays would be reduced by the continuous movement of traffic through the proposed roundabout for all road users including bicycles and trucks.
· Pedestrian safety and walkability would be improved by providing pedestrian crossing points and additional sidewalk for foot travel on all sides of the intersection.
· With the proposed roundabout in place, the AM and PM peak hour Level of Service (LOS) would be A and B, respectively, for the newly configured intersection in the Build design year. Click here for an explanation of how LOS is measured.
· With the proposed roundabout in place, the AM and PM peak hour delay is projected to be 4.5 seconds and 21.7 seconds, respectively, in the Build design year.
SR 10/West Broad St: Intersection Improvements
Randy Blair (GDOT), Rani Katreeb (ACCGOV)
State Senate District:
State House District:
Construction Work Program
Right of Way Authorization:
©2022 Cox Media Group