From the Athens-Clarke County Government website...
The Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) is installing a new state-of-the-art system, Georgia Driver Record and Integrated Vehicle Enterprise System (DRIVES), to upgrade and modernize the vehicle registration and titling system. The new Georgia DRIVES system will enable more self-service options, improve customer service, and enhance data integrity.
Due to the new system upgrade, the Athens-Clarke County Tag Office will close on Thursday, May 23 at noon and remain closed on Friday, May 24. It will reopen on Tuesday, May 28 at 8:00 a.m. after the Memorial Day weekend.
During June, customers may experience longer than normal wait times when visiting the Tag Office due to the new system. Vehicle owners with renewal dates in May and June who normally renew in person are encouraged to do so prior to May 20 to avoid delays. Individuals who ordinarily renew online will not experience delays.
"We are excited to partner with the Department of Revenue on the Georgia DRIVES project, which will improve our office efficiencies when handling vehicle registrations," said Athens-Clarke County Tax Commissioner Toni Meadow. "It is important for vehicle owners and businesses to be aware of the upcoming schedule changes leading up to the Memorial Day launch of the system."
What to Expect:
- Athens-Clarke County Tag Office will not be able to process transactions after noon on May 23 or all day May 24.
- All online motor vehicle related services, including online tag renewal services, will be offline May 21-27.
- The Motor Vehicle Division will only be able to process Trip Permit transactions at the Georgia Department of Revenue's Southmeadow facility. All other transactions, including International Fuel Tax Agreements (IFTA) and International Registration Plans (IRP), will be unavailable.
How will this impact Georgia customers and drivers?
- In the first month of the DRIVES system, walk-in customers may experience delays and longer than normal wait times. To avoid such delays, Georgia residents with May and June renewal dates are encouraged to renew prior to Monday, May 20.
- Customers and dealers seeking to conduct any title transactions should complete their business at the Athens-Clarke County Tag Office prior to noon on Thursday, May 23.
- Dealers will be able to initiate electronic title and registration (ETR) transactions and issue temporary operating permits (TOPs) over Memorial Day weekend.
- Law enforcement will still have access to motor vehicle records through a statewide backup file.
- The Department of Driver Services will not be affected.
For more information, visit www.accgov.com/tagoffice or contact the Athens-Clarke County Tag Office at 706-613-3130.